Saturday, April 11, 2015

Dreams Becoming a Reality

Lullaby Waters is scheduled to open in a few weeks, and I couldn't be more excited! The Treasure Valley community has never seen anything like this, and I feel that it will help so many people in a number of different ways.

I am an occupational therapist. I started this journey a long time ago, though my ultimate dream and goal was to get to this point -  opening Lullaby Waters, an aquatic therapy clinic focused on women and children.

I completed my undergraduate degree in children's studies and my master's degree in occupational therapy. I knew I wanted to work with children, but in what capacity I was unsure. I have had so many great therapists as mentors and friends along the way. My greatest mentor was Dayna Kathleen Willbanks, therapist and owner of Elements of Wellness, an aquatic integration clinic in Moscow, Idaho. I was fortunate enough to work along side her and learn from her in my internship many years ago.

Since that point I have focused all of my continuing education in the area of aquatics, though it has been difficult to put these techniques into practice without the desired facility here in Boise.
I have contracted with the infant toddler program for the past four years, and worked in the field of pediatrics for the last five.

There has not been a single child that I have worked with that would not benefit from aquatic therapy. I feel that this is truly the most beneficial form of therapy, and that families will see such great differences in their children or themselves.

The other focus of Lullaby Waters is for mothers. I feel more needs to be done in support of moms - physically, mentally, and emotionally. The aquatic environment can offer that, which is part of what Lullaby Waters, named for the peaceful and pleasant nature of the therapy, was designed for.

I couldn't have gotten to this exciting point without the love and support of family, and I am so grateful. Renovation photos are coming soon! We have a small space, but it will be full of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment